Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
At that time bhikkhu Kokàlika was ailing, gravely ill, in unpleasantness.
Then the independent brahma Tudu when the night was waning, illuminating the whole of Jeta's grove with a resplendent light, approached the bhikkhu Kokàlika.
Standing in mid air brahma Tudu said thus to bhikkhu Kokàlika: "Kokàlika, reconcile your mind towards Sàriputta and Moggallàna. They are well-behaved bhikkhus."
"Friend, who are you?"
"I am brahma Tudu."
"Friend, is it you the Blessed One declare as a non-returner. Why did you come here? Look! You do me wrong!"
- To man when born, a dagger is born in the mouth,
- With it, uttering hurtful words the fool hurts himself.
- He that praises the blameworthy or blames the praiseworthy,
- Speaks evil words with his mouth.
- With that ill luck he does not feel pleasant.
- By gambling if someone looses all his wealth together with himself
- It's nothing much, when compared to this
- That is making his mind hurtful towards the well gone ones.
- With that evil intention and evil thoughts, blaming noble ones
- He is born in hell for a long period. A hundred thousand Nirabuda hells,
- And five times six thousand Abudani hell periods"