Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. Once the Blessed One lived in Sàvatthi, in Jeta's grove in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika.
2. When the night was waning a large number of deities with the perception of taking offence, approached the Blessed One, illuminating the whole of Jeta's grove stood in mid air.
3. One of those deities said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "Appeasement of the self, is one thing, it's declared in another way,
- It is deceit and fraud, like partaking a stolen meal.
- Whatever you do, say that, do not say what you do not do
- The wise know those, who say what they do not do."
- "Just by saying, or by listening only, it is not possible,
- To step out, other than by following this difficult method
- The wise, by concentrating find release from the bonds of death.
- Merely by knowing the ways of the world, it is not possible,
- The wise ones knowing it cross the diffused ness of the world."
4. Then those deities descended to earth, put their tops down at the feet of the Blessed One and said: "Venerable sir, pardon us, we have fallen to an offence owing to our demerit and ignorance. Without thinking we have hurt the Blessed One. May the Blessed One accept our pardon for our future restrain.
5. The Blessed One smiled.
6. Then much pleased, those deities with perceptions of offence, ascended to space.
7. One of those deities said this stanza in the presence of the Blessed One:
- "When pardon was asked, it was not granted to them,
- The angry, like their anger and are bound by it.
- Asking pardon and its reaching up to Teacher was not evident correctly.
- Anger did not turn into infatuation.
- Here. what is the clever thing to do?"
- "Whose anger was not evident, to whom did it not reach?
- Who was not infatuated?
- Which wise one is always mindful?"
- "The enlightened, Thus Gone One is compassionate to all living things
- The asking for pardon was not accepted, it did not reach up to him.
- He was not infatuated. He is the always mindful one."
- "When pardon was asked, if it was not granted to them,
- If the angry ones, like their anger and its bonds
- I do not like that ill feeling, I accept your pardon."