Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. The origin is Sàvatthi.
2. Then bhikkhuni Upàcala putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Sàvatthi for alms. Going the alms round and after the meal, she approached the dark forest and sat under a certain tree to spend the day in seclusion.
Then Màra the evil one desiring to frighten bhikkhuni Upàcala approached her and said thus:
- "Bhikkhuni, where do you desire to be born?"
3. "Friend, I do not wish to be born."
4. "Establish your mind with the company of gods, of the thirty-three,
- Or of the under world, or of happiness, or of those attached to creating,
- Or those under the control of others and enjoy the pleasures."
5. "The company of gods, of the thirty-three, of the under world, of happiness,
- Of those attached to creating and those under the control of others
- Are bound by the bond of sensuality and come back to be controlled by Màra
- All forefathers of the world, all establishers, all illuminators
- All those who caused distress in the world and those who did not cause distress,
- Did not change and all ordinary folk
- Come back to the domains of death, I am not interested in it."
6. Then Màra the evil one knew that he was recognized by Bhikkhuni Upàcala, and displeased, vanished from there.