Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. The origin is Sàvatthi. Then bhikkhuni Vajira putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Sàvatthi for alms. Going the alms round and after the meal, she approached the dark forest and sat under a certain tree to spend the day in seclusion.
2. Then Màra the evil one, desiring to frighten bhikkhuni Vajira, approached her and said this stanza:
3. "By whom is this image made, where is the maker?
- How did the being rise and how will it cease?"
4. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Vajira "Who is it that says a stanza, is it a human or non-human?"
5. Then it occurred to bhikkhuni Vajira, "It is Màra the evil one, desiring to frighten me and disturb me."
6. And bhikkhuni Vajira knowing it is Màra the evil One, replied with this stanza:
- "Màra, you are with a view, what do you take for granted as a being?
- Here you do not gain a self, it's completely a mass of determinations
- Just as all parts put together is called a chariot.
- Even so when the masses are present, it is accepted as a being.
- The produced unpleasantness stays and fades
- Nothing other than unpleasantness is produced and ceases"
7. Then Màra the evil one knew that he was recognized by Bhikkhuni Vajira, and displeased, vanished from there.