Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. I heard thus. At one time a son of the Vajji's lived in a stretch of forest in Vesali.
2. At that time, all throughout the night there was some music going on in Vesali.
3. Then that bhikkhu hearing the musical sounds and singing lamenting it, said this stanza that moment.
- "I live alone in this forest, like wood thrown away.
- It's such an enjoyable night, on account of whose demerit is it?"
4. Then a deity living in that stretch of forest out of compassion, wishing to arouse remorse, approached that bhikkhu.
5. Having approached said this stanza:
- "You live alone in this forest, like wood thrown away
- And you desire very much the hell, although in heaven."
6, That bhikkhu made remorseful by the deity became concerned.