Translation by Bhikkhuni Uppalavanna
1. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
2. At that time venerable Vaïgãsa had attained worthiness and was enjoying that bliss and said these stanzas:
- "Earlier I went from village to village and from town to town,
- Intoxicated about my ability to express in verses
- Then I saw the rightfully Enlightened One and he aroused faith in me,
- He taught me about the masses, mental faculties and elements.
- Then I went forth as a ascetic.
- For the good of many the sage realized enlightenment
- For the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis to attain their aims
- It's for my good that I came to the presence of the Blessed One
- I attained the threefold knowledge, did my duty in the dispensation.
- I know previous births, purified my heavenly eye,
- And I am clever in reading the minds of others."