Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In apprehending the Tipitaka, one might need some help, like a good Dictionary of Buddhism or an Encyclopedia of Buddhism. Below are some resources which can be used for this purpose:
- The Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary is very extensive, and authorative.
- The dictionary of Pali Proper Names gives background information to many of the persons and places which occur in the Tripitaka. Also some buddhist concepts are treated here.
- Buddhist Dictionary: Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines by Nyanatiloka. This is a part of the website www.palikanon.com which hosts a German translation of the Tipitaka.
Dictionaries with limited accessEdit
For Stanford University users, you may use your SUNetID to access an extensive Encyclopedia of Buddhism:
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism: This encyclopedia describes the Buddhist world view, basic teachings and practices of Buddhism, as well as its different schools and sects. In addition to containing entries on Buddhist scriptures, art, architecture, divinities, monastic orders, festivals, rites and ceremonies, this 2-vol. set explores the history of Buddhism, the different forms it has taken in different parts of the world, and how Buddhism has blended with other religions like Shinto, Confucianism, Daoism, Islam, and Christianity.
For Harvard University users, you may use your university ID to access Damien Keown's Dictionary of Buddhism
- Dictionary of Buddhism This dictionary features broad-ranging entries on the history and doctrines of the major Buddhist schools, information on the spread of Buddhism in Asia and the West, and coverage of issues of contemporary concern such as human rights, abortion, euthanasia, "engaged Buddhism," and the role of women in Buddhist teachings.
For Thai users, if you would like to translate Thai Tipitaka (you can access it through here ) into English, you might want to consult with Dictionary of Buddhism by P.A. Payutto for proper translations of some terms.
- Complete Thai-English, English-Thai, and Thai-Thai Dictionary of Buddhism by P.A. Payutto, the most revered and credible scholar-monk of Thailand.
Pali English Dictionary with added Sanskrit wordsEdit
Dictionary - A linkable Dictionary adapted from original work by P.A.Payutto